> Isn't logging going to be a standard part of JDK 1.4? I thought that was
> going to be based on IBM's Log4J. Is Avalon's logging based on that? If
> not, should the 'standard' be considered? IIRC JDK 1.4 logging includes
> the ability to log to syslog (on unix) and whatever the logging
> mechanism is on Windows.
>
> Just curious.

If you look at the Avalon dev mailing list archives you will find a
heated discussion about JDK 1.4 logging, LogKit and Log4J. I think the
common opinion there is something like: JDK 1.4 logging is not good
enough. I know this is simplified, but you can read the details yourself.
:-) And anyway, JDK 1.4 is not available, yet, so we will probably use
what's available.

Avalon uses LogKit and LogKit is part of the Avalon project. When using
Avalon LogKit's the first choice. There was a discussion at Avalon if a
common lightweight API should be defined that could be backed by LogKit
Log4J and JDK logging. But so far nobody has takes this idea forward,
yet.

Both Log4J and LogKit can be easily extended (or are already able) to
log to syslog and Windows EventLog.

Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch