Thank you very much to all that have answered, the messages as well as
support one seems to get from the list are indeed encouraging.

I still have one general question and a specific one :

1) Volume and speed

I have written a small report: a  five-column table, a page footer
(simple text), a page header with a largish colour logo. I embedded the
FOP generation (XSLT + FOP) in a servlet using the supplied standard
code (viz. using XSLTInputHandler as parser). I use Jboss 2.4.4 with
Catalina. My development machine is a Pentium 700 Mhz machine with 254
Meg of memory running Windows NT 2000 Professional. And I don't seem to
get much more than 1-2 pages generated per second (even when the servlet
has already been called). Is this also your experience?  I must say that
I have attempted no optimisation. Any that you might suggest? How do
handle load when several users are requesting reports simultaneously?
Only accept patient users?

2) IE Bug

Alex Mc Lintock wrote that, due to a bug in IE, he had to save the whole
PDF file on disk. I think I have seen this: is this when the PDF file is
interpreted as text and displayed as gibberish in the main navigation
window? Has this not been resolved in later versions of IE? Has the bug
been reported to the MSIE team?

Patrick Andries

Tout sur Unicode 3.1 en français http://hapax.iquebec.com
Texte complet de la norme mise à jour, annotations