Guys, I've just encountered this issue, so apologies for barging in late..

 > Jeremias Maerki wrote:
 >
 >> Joerg Pietschmann wrote:
>> In order to clarify issues: I have to use FOP in an environment
>> which already provides logging, configuration management and life
>> cycle management. I don't want to look into another log file. I
>> don't want to write more config files.

I'm in the exact same boat here. We'd like to embed FOP but the
configuration, management and logging environment we already have is
more than sufficient without using another on top. It is a requirement
of the project I'm on that all configuration is done via the central
configuration mechanism, and all logging is to the project's logger.
There's zero chance of using Avalon instead, and if we need to write
translation layers between Avalon and what we already have, then
embedding FOP will fall into the too hard basket, and we'll need to use
somthing else. I'd dearly like to avoid having this happen.

>> I don't want to prevent anyone from providing a FOP embedding
>> using logkit and avalon. I *want* however access to a core which
>> doesn't rely on yet another toolkit for common functionality

Ditto.

> Ok, I think that can be done, even when using Avalon in FOP. You propose
> (I think) that we could provide an Avalon-Wrapper around FOP, but it
> could also be the other way around. I'm sure that Avalon will not stand
> in the way if we provide a simple interface similar to what you proposed.

I'm not sure what you mean here, when you say it could be "the other way
around".

Personally, I'd suggest having core FOP logging services taken care of
by something akin to org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler. This mechanism works
quite nicely. FOP could provide a default implementation which uses
Logkit/Avalon and embedders could provide their own.

Also, I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. If
people are happy with this approach, I'll gladly implement it over the
next few days. I hope this conveys how important I think this issue is.

What does everyone say?

Mike.

--
Michael Gratton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>