Logging is one thing. Error handling (like layout problems, image that
can't be found etc.) is another. Right?

Logging: I'd go for the Avalon Logger interface which lets us freely
choose the logging backend. We can even use the new ConsoleLogger or
even NullLogger. :-)

Error handling: We had a short discussion back in November. Doing that
in the user agent sounds good (it's the obvious place) although I can't
fully figure out yet if this solves everything we need. Well, I should
think about that some more, then.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=100642654705366&w=2

> If you can do it and it will be an improvement then I welcome your input.
>
> I think the are three possibilities:
> - use a generic logging package such as found in avalon, it is quite
> possible to use the LogkitLogger, Log4JLogger and Jdk14Logger
> - use an interface
> - use methods on the user agent
>
> The interface almost guarantees that we will need extra code to do things
> that everyone else is doing. The user agent could provide flexibility
> while incorporating the first option.
>
> We also need to remember context and threading issues.
>
> On 2002.03.12 08:09 Michael Gratton wrote:
> > Personally, I'd suggest having core FOP logging services taken care of
> > by something akin to org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler. This mechanism works
> > quite nicely. FOP could provide a default implementation which uses
> > Logkit/Avalon and embedders could provide their own.
> >
> > Also, I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. If
> > people are happy with this approach, I'll gladly implement it over the
> > next few days. I hope this conveys how important I think this issue is.
> >
> > What does everyone say?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch