It is possible the latest StuffIt Expanders work properly for filenames longer than 31
chars but it is a known problem.  OS X can use much longer filenames.  I include the
following when I put up archives:

MacOSX Note: Don't use Stuffit to expand the archive. Use the following shell command
instead:

  tar -xzf <source>.tar.gz

gunzip should work for a zip file also (I think).

--

-s