Clay Leeds wrote:

> This is fine, but I think it would be better to state something like:
>
> MacOSX Note: Use the following shell command to extract FOP under
> Mac OS X:
>
>    tar -xzf <source>.tar.gz
>
> If you use Stuffit to expand the archive, the following filename:
>
>    fop-0.20.4\lib\avalon-framework-cvs-20020315.jar
>
> may be truncated to 31 characters
>
>    fop-0.20.4\lib\avalon-framework-cvs-20020315.j

Thanks to Clay, Stephen, and Sebastien for enlightening me on the
31-character truncation issue. Unless any other developers object, I will
find a place in the documentation (probably in the installation) to deal
with this. It will be much more general than the one proposed (I don't want
to maintain anything that has specific filenames in it, nor do I want to
turn this into a Mac support site), but should be sufficient for someone to
get started on finding a solution.

Sebastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:

> Java under Mac OS X started with JDK 1.3. JDK 1.4 is in beta test.
> The JAVA_HOME issue should already be known by most Java
> programmers that work under Mac OS X, but it may be useful to
> recall the trick.

Again, barring objections from the other developers, I'll add a comment to
the installation doc. However, the upgrade issue still remains. I really
don't want to document for users how to point to an obsolete version of Java
(I see that it is not obsolete now -- I am thinking of future FOP releases
that may require higher versions of Java). What is Apple's plan for
upgrading Java when that is needed? Is there a web site URL that I could add
that would help the user 1) figure out what version they have, and 2) get it
upgraded if necessary?

Victor Mote