On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 11:54 PM, Victor Mote wrote:

Clay Leeds wrote:

The files were ZIP'd, and when they were unZIP'd using Stuffit Expander,
the avalon JAR file's long filename was changed from:

avalon-framework-cvs-20020315.jar

to:

avalon-framework-cvs-20020315.j

Adding "ar" at the end of that filename, resolved the problem, and I am
able to run FOP on my Mac. Unfortunately, it took a few days to
figure out this problem.
First, thanks for the input. I'll be glad to update the FAQ, but I am a
little confused about what to put into it. The file name was truncated after
31 characters, which is too odd of a number to seem to have been done on
purpose by StuffIt. What caused the filename truncation? Without
understanding that, I am not sure how to help.
This is because 31 characters was the file name limit under Mac OS Classic.
StuffIt Expander being a "carbonized" application, it may still contains code
that make sure filenames are truncated to 31 characters.

The Good Way to extract Unix archives under Mac OS X is to open the
Terminal and use gzip, gnutar and zip/unzip.

Java Home. Many Java applications require the identification of a "Java
Home" directory during installation. The equivalent on Mac OS X should
always be /Library/Java/Home. This is actually a symbolic link to the
current installed J2SE version, and allows access to the bin subdirectory
where command line tools such as java, javac, etc. exist as expected. The
I am not a Mac guy, so please excuse my ignorance. Is this something that
Mac people should already know? In other words, I wonder whether it is even
appropriate to address this in FOP doc as it is primarily a sysadmin issue,
or at least a Mac or Java issue. Also, what if /Library/Java/Home points to
a 1.1 or 1.2 java runtime? If we tell the user to use that, then FOP doesn't
work. Again, I am not sure what to recommend here.
Java under Mac OS X started with JDK 1.3. JDK 1.4 is in beta test.
The JAVA_HOME issue should already be known by most Java
programmers that work under Mac OS X, but it may be useful to
recall the trick.

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni