On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:59:03PM -0700, Victor Mote wrote:
> Peter B. West wrote:
>
> > I'm still floundering around here, but when I found 'catalog' in
> > .../documentation/resources/schema, and the dtd in .../schema/dtd, I
> > began to see a ray of light.  It seems to me that such a setup should be
> > used for all of the DOCTYPE delcarations in the documentation tree.  At
> > the moment we are relying on the system identifier component of the
> > DOCTYPE declaration, and that is indicating a CVS retrieval - some from
> > the xml-forrest base, some from xml-cocoon2, last time I looked.
>
> The way this works is that your validation software has to know how to find
> the catalog. If it does, then the catalog can contain mappings from the
> PUBLIC IDs in the DOCTYPE declaration to a local physical file. That setup
> is already in all of our documents. For example, our resources.xml file
> contains the following DOCTYPE:
>
> <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.1//EN"
>
> "http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/resources/sche
> ma/dtd/document-v11.dtd">
>
> Your catalog has to know how to map "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.1//EN"
> to "/u/xml-schema/document-v11.dtd" or whatever your local file is.

FTR, Forrest has a built-in catalog, so the SYSTEM id of docs processed
by Forrest will be ignored.

If FOP has any DTDs not included in Forrest, then these can be added to
src/documentation/resources/schema/dtd, and a project-specific catalog
added.  This process is documented at
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/validation.html

> It seems to me that we have this set up as well as it can be

Looks like it.

--Jeff