Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Thanks to Glen for raising the issue. The ideal approach is if Oleg
would pack up his TIFFRenderer and donate it to the ASF accompanied with
a software grant [1], but Oleg is a FOP committer and has a CLA on file.
So if Oleg attaches a ZIP with the sources for the TIFFRenderer (ALv2
already applied) to a Bugzilla entry along with a note that we may
include it in FOP, that's good enough for me. It's not that the thing is
a big application in itself even though some people would argue works
like Renaud's AWT patch and Oleg's TIFFRenderer must go/run through the
Incubator.

To make things even more complicated, TIFFRenderer is just a thin wrapper around some weird licensed [1] Sun's codec sources, called "Java Advanced Imaging API 1.1.1 Sample Source" [2], which includes some provisional bits of JAI. I'm not sure if we want to use it. What about using full-blown JAI?

[1] http://www.tkachenko.com/fop/JAI_1.1.1_sample_io_sourcecodelic.10_23_01.txt
[2] http://java.sun.com/developer/sampsource/jai/
--
Oleg Tkachenko