I would like to answer this question now by saying, "Alt-design". However, I cannot - yet. The layout work has just begun, and is aiming initially at a Java 2D solution. When that is complete, unless someone cares to work in parallel on PDF rendering from the Java 2D representation, that PDF rendering work will have to follow. The initial version will require Java 1.4.2, a serious drawback for many, and may move forward from there if the text layout facilities improve in 1.5 and its sub-releases.

Alt-design starts page layout as soon as an fo:flow is encountered, and a page is completed as soon as enough of the flow has been read to fill that page.

Obviously, forward references cannot be resolved until the reference is resolved in the course of layout (e.g. Page n of m), but the existing solution of caching the incomplete page to disk will apply in alt-design.

Anyone who wishes to contribute to the development of alt-design would be most welcome. Experience has already shown that ideas from alt-design can be very fruitfully applied to the main line of development. In saying this I have no desire to distract those, especially those new and productive committers, who are dedicated to HEAD development.

I mention this here because of the ongoing concern about memory usage.

Peter