ANOTHER UPDATE:
I got the results I was looking for, not by using fo:external-graphics, but by placing the graphic in the @background-image for the fo:table-cell. Unfortunately, the background-position* attributes aren't working (the FOP Compliance page[1] does indicate 'yes' for Basic support, but 'no' Extended support).

One frustration, I had to take my 'pretty' 300dpi JPG image and convert it to 72dpi, because FOP appears to render my 300dpi image at 72dpi, making the graphic larger than the space it occupies. The XSL-FO spec does not indicate any sort of background-image 'scale' or background-content-width attribute.

I hope this information helps someone!

Web Maestro Clay

[1] FOP Compliance Page - background-position-horizontal:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-background- position-horizontal