Clay Leeds wrote:
This would be a nice excuse to use SVG if not for two reasons: 1) SVG text is rendering poorly in my FOP output

Did you try http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-text

2) more importantly, Batik doesn't play nicely headless system, and this project has the potential to run on a headless server.

Hup? Doesn't http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-headless help?

PROBLEM
I have 3 graphics (each 35px wide w/ rotated red text w/ white margins) in an fo:region-end and I have a strange problem: the TOP graphic renders at slightly larger than the correct size; the MIDDLE graphic renders correctly; the BOTTOM graphic renders smaller than the correct size.
Maybe a problem with the scaling code. Or something else.

I've tried using every combination imaginable of width/height,

For SVG, the heigth/width in the SVG itself should match, otherwise strange results may occur. You shouldn't use pixels as units of measure, which may be rounded in unexpected ways, use cm/in/pt instead.

content-width/content-height,
No effect at all, these properties are never used in FOP for any
purpose.

and nothing works. There isn't a problem with HEIGHT, because there is ample space on either side of each image.
The scaling code uses available height in the region *body*,
unfortunately. This doesn't quite explain why the top image
is rendered larger though, unless this is an artifact of the
screen renderer (Acrobat).

J.Pietschmann