On Aug 26, 2004, at 12:55 PM, J.Pietschmann wrote:
Clay Leeds wrote:
This would be a nice excuse to use SVG if not for two reasons: 1) SVG text is rendering poorly in my FOP output

Did you try http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-text

erm... no. Thanks! I'll check it out!

2) more importantly, Batik doesn't play nicely headless system, and this project has the potential to run on a headless server.

Hup? Doesn't http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-headless help?

One of the systems we use is AIX, and we were unable to get the workarounds to function. I think the tip with "Xvfb" in it was the closest we got, but we have problems we weren't able to resolve. We weren't using SVG at all (so that wasn't an issue), and ended up using outputting to Postscript instead of -print, and then cat'ing the resulting file to a Postscript printer.

PROBLEM
I have 3 graphics (each 35px wide w/ rotated red text w/ white margins) in an fo:region-end and I have a strange problem: the TOP graphic renders at slightly larger than the correct size; the MIDDLE graphic renders correctly; the BOTTOM graphic renders smaller than the correct size.
Maybe a problem with the scaling code. Or something else.

I've tried using every combination imaginable of width/height,

For SVG, the heigth/width in the SVG itself should match, otherwise strange results may occur. You shouldn't use pixels as units of measure, which may be rounded in unexpected ways, use cm/in/pt instead.

content-width/content-height,
No effect at all, these properties are never used in FOP for any
purpose.

and nothing works. There isn't a problem with HEIGHT, because there is ample space on either side of each image.
The scaling code uses available height in the region *body*,
unfortunately. This doesn't quite explain why the top image
is rendered larger though, unless this is an artifact of the
screen renderer (Acrobat).

J.Pietschmann

Ahhh... This is what I was beginning to allude to in one of my updates... The Acrobat artifact possibility is interesting. I was looking at the PDF at ~150% (page-width)...

Thanks for the comments!

Web Maestro Clay