Jebus wrote:
Its all tables.  Basically the pdf is a report with the table as a
grid. The one problem could be that I set a border for each table cell
so that I can have grid lines.

Doesn't matter.

like to here. I looked for an equivalent to the html cellspacing but
didn't find one for xsl:fo.

What does the equivalent to html cellspacing have to do with visible border lines?

Would it be better to add extra rows and
columns to make the grid lines work ?

Makes things worse. Don't do this. Tables take a lot of memory because a) they consist of lots of FOs, each generating a Java object, and b) the FO Java objects keep references to Area Java objects generated during the layout process. Both of these object sets are released after a page sequence ends. All other FOs release their Area objects already after a page is rendered.

You can try to get the latest code from the CVS maintenance branch
(see FOP website for instructions), compile, and see whether it
processes your FO without NPEs. If so, it should solve your problem.

J.Pietschmann