On May 8, 2008, at 11:38, Jean-François El Fouly wrote:
Andreas Delmelle a écrit :

Which Java VM are you using? Practically every time someone tells us about memory/GC issues, it appears they are using an implementation other than Sun (IBM, GNU...) Up to now, we still have to find out why precisely non-Sun VMs have difficulties with FOP...

Nope. I'll double check but I'm pretty sure it's a genuine Sun JVM 1.5.0_11, or maybe the very minor build after.

OK. Just curious: Any chance you could test it on another build or maybe even Java 6?

How large would the resulting FO-files be if you dump them to the filesystem? The XML by itself says very little. From a 1.5MB XML, you could get a FO of a few KB or one of 26MB, depending on the stylesheet.

5.08 Mb.

That's not what I would call a large FO, so this should be no problem.

Does the stylesheet adhere to XSLT best practices? Does it generate a lot of redundant fo:blocks, fo:inlines?

I hope not. It has been a complicated thing generated by StyleVision in the very beginning but it has been simplified and tweaked a lot.

In my personal experience, optimizing the stylesheet code usually does not offer much improvement in terms of global memory usage, but it could have a noticeable impact on the processing time. One of the things I've learned about generated XSL-FO stylesheets by Altova is that they add a lot of fo:inlines to specify, for example, font- properties on the lowest levels in the generated FO while, when comparing to the font-properties of the fo:inlines' parents nothing really changes, except for the size, style or weight. From FOP's point of view, that's somewhat of a waste. Much better to specify a global font-size on the page-sequence, and override on the lower levels only what is really necessary. After adapting the stylesheet manually, and removing the redundant fo:inlines, the stylesheet and the generated FO were reduced to not even half the original size.

Something else that bothered me, but I don't know if that was also generated by Altova, is that in one of the stylesheets I saw, the entire transformation was contained in one giant template... AFAIU, this gives little opportunity for the XSLT processor to clean up anything. Java 1.5 uses Xalan XSLTC by default, which converts templates into Java objects. One giant template would then mean one very long-living object that may reference numerous others for the whole duration of the processing run. If you look at the chain, when using XML+XSLT input, FOP is always the first one to finish, then the XSLT processor, then the XML parser. If the XSLT processor cannot reclaim anything, this will give FOP less room to work with, so it ultimately runs slower. As the heap increases to reach the maximum, the points where the JVM will launch the GC by itself, will also increase. Since it cannot expand the heap anymore, it will try to clean up more frequently.

Cheers

Andreas