I have been playing with Facets the last few weeks and must say, that they
are really great. It's pretty easy to add dedicated functionality to the
host model and I want to use that for some of my plugins (Omaha,
Monitoring, something new, ...).
Everything is great so far except for the missing UI hooks Shim mentions.

What I want to do are mostly easy thing, like adding a new tab to the host
form or host show page. Currently, the only way to do this is using deface.
But this feels pretty hacky to me and isn't good to maintain. I'd really
appreciate if there were easy and tested hooks for common areas like the
host show page.

In my opinion, we are already too late on finishing the facets (and
Pagelets) integration. Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on either
option. But prefer the second approach as well.

In regards to widening the feature gap for a host ux redesign: We have to
provide extension points anyways. The Foreman community gains a lot of
value from the rich plugin ecosystem and the possibility to extend Foreman
fairly easy.
When we redo the host ux pages, we have to provide extension points. This
is not a nice-to-have feature, but a must-have in my opinion.

- Timo