On Wed, April 8, 2009 11:58, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Tomas Hajny <xhaj...@mbox.vol.cz> wrote:
>>>

>> In this context, any editor which doesn't use LF by default (e.g. for
>> new
>> files) is not an option unless you require Unix users to use an editor
>> supporting CRLF as well or unless you never expect non-Unix users to
>> contribute to the project directly.
>
> Well that shouldn't be a problem, because most unix editors I know or
> use adheres to whatever line ending is in the file. So if a Windows
> users commits a new file, my system should manage it just fine.
>
> But saying that, by default msysGit uses the Windows line ending style
> and committing a new file will then automatically be converted to a
> Unix line ending on the Git repository at SourceForge (they run unix
> servers there). Line endings for text files are handled correctly
> under Git by default, so I don't see the issue.
>
> SubVersion has the exact same problem, so it's not like Git is doing
> something stupid. Git has option for handling this issue and with a
> default install, the user doesn't need to do anything.

I didn't intend to compare Git to SVN, because I don't know enough about
Git (although I share Florian's concerns about "magic" detection of proper
file type rather than combination of reasonably conservative and obviously
configurable default setting combined with possibility to mark other files
as plain text explicitly at the file level). I was only responding to your
statement regarding Notepad (which may or may not be relevant in the
context of Git's ability to handle this area transparently). Yet again,
this probably doesn't have any direct impact to your particular case, it
was meant as a general comment.

Tomas