On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Vinzent Hoefler wrote:

On Thursday 16 July 2009, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
I am not sure having a 100 MB lazarus *roaming* profile by default
would be a good idea.

That's true (although my settings are only 130 kB but they may grow).
Therefore it would be the best of all worlds to save the Lazarus
settings to the Lazarus directory.

No. A sane environment shouldn't even grant you write permissions there.

Then you would not have any
problems when using roaming profiles (neither losing settings nor
performance impact when copying data on logon).

But you would lose your settings when changing the machine, because then
the settings aren't part of your profile anymore.

I will attempt to solve the discussion:
AFAIK Lazarus uses the getappconfigdir() call. I'll add a optional parameter
called 'Roaming', which defaults to 'False' (for backward compatibility),
and which can then be used to get the roaming profile directory.
On non-windows, it will be ignored.

It is then up to the lazarus devs to use the call to check for the 2
directories if they are so inclined, and possibly offer the choice.

Can everybody live with that ?