Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
Op 2010-08-15 18:27, Marcos Douglas het geskryf:
I never use ODBC/FreeTDS on Linux. This is stable? All resources have
been implemented like SP's, multi-SQL in the same instruction, etc?

I don't know, I only used Unix ODBC for a data conversion application (MS
Access -> Firebird). Unix ODBC has been around for years, so I assume all
is well and implemented.

I've used ODBC on Linux to connect between OpenOffice and PostgreSQL. Working from memory, I didn't have any significant problems which I could blame on ODBC, so in general it's probably OK as a compatibility layer.

Having said that, there are some server-specific things that it quite simply doesn't know about, such as PostgreSQL's listen/notify actions. Very often it is "extras" like that that drive ones selection of a particular server, so one ends up having to compromise between on the one hand using a compatibility layer to improve portability and on the other using a server-specific library to be able to use all its facilities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk