Am 16.05.2014 19:00, schrieb Craig Peterson:
> On 5/16/2014 11:18 AM, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>> Isn't using anonymous methods in this case only a work around for missing
>> OpenMP support?
>
> Absolutely, but neither Free Pascal nor Delphi implement OpenMP.

I wanted only to point out that personally I would first work on OpenMP support
than implementing
anonymous methods (which I consider anyways very un-pascalish) and closures.

> The
> OpenMP page on the Free Pascal wiki hasn't been significantly changed
> since 2008, which coincidentally is the last time Allen Bauer blogged
> about his "Delphi Parallel Library".  I'm looking for something that I
> can use soon, not in 5 years.

To be honest, I see anonymous methods and closures not much earlier in a stable
release: if they are
not implemented and merged during the next few months, they will not go into
the next major release
(somewhere in 2015). Between major releases we have usually 3 years, so 4 years
at least as well for
anonymous methods/closures.

> I'm not sure what you mean by the "But that's it?" though.  Yes, they're
> just syntax sugar.

Yes, that's what I meant. Closures/anonymous methods allow sometimes (in my
eyes seldomly) some
source line savings in modern pascal, no more no less.