On Mon, 10 May 2021 11:40:41 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 May 2021, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal wrote:
>

>> Not so simple when you read scores of Internet pages on the subject...
>
>99% of what is written on internet is junk or outdated.
>
>OK, maybe it's only 98%.
>
>Check the synapse sources, that's all you need.

Yes it really looks like the SendToRaw, SendToEx and SendTo functions at the
bottom are intended as examples...
I wonder if this is the structure elsewhere too...

>The handling of attachments is well explained on the synapse homepage/wiki.
>
>http://www.ararat.cz/synapse/doku.php/public:howto
>http://www.ararat.cz/synapse/doku.php/public:howto:mimeparts
>
>> Where is the actual sending of the email happening?
>> And how do I add the attachments?
>
>It is explained in my article. Nothing has changed in this regard.
>Didn't you read the section on attachments ?

Yes I did but it involved calling the SendToRaw function inside Synapse at the
end and therefore hiding the SMTP object where the SSL stuff has to be set...

>in the below, aMailData is a record with MailBody, MailHTML strings, and a
>list of
>recipients 'Recipients' and attachment filenames in Attachments.
>
>var
>   Msg: TMimeMess;
>   Body,Html : TStringList;
>   H,PM,P,Rel,Alt : TMimePart;
>   Recips : TArray<String>;
>
>begin
>     Msg.Header.From := FSMTP.Username;
>     Msg.Header.Subject:=aMailData.Subject;
>     for S in Recips do
>       Msg.Header.ToList.Add(S);
>     if (aMailData.MailBody<>'') and (aMailData.MailHTMl<>'') then
>       begin
>       PM:=Msg.AddPartMultipart('mixed',Nil);
>       Rel := Msg.AddPartMultipart('related', P);
>       Alt := Msg.AddPartMultipart('alternative', Rel);
>       P:=Alt;
>       end;
>     if aMailData.MailBody<>'' then
>       begin
>       Body:=TStringList.Create;
>       Body.Text:=aMailData.MailBody;
>       Body.WriteBOM:=False;
>       Msg.AddPartText(Body,P);
>     end;
>     if aMailData.MailHTMl<>'' then
>     begin
>       HTML:=TStringList.Create;
>       HTML.WriteBOM:=False;
>       HTML.Text:=aMailData.MailHTMl;
>       H:=Msg.AddPartHTML(HTML,P);
>       H.ConvertCharset:=False;
>       // H.EncodingCode:=ME_BASE64;
>       H.EncodePart;
>       H.EncodePartHeader;
>     end;
>     // Todo : attachments
>     // Add all attachments, assume Attachments is a stringlist with
>     // filenames
>     For I:=0 to aMailData.Attachments.Count-1 do
>        Msg.AddPartBinaryFromFile(Attachments[I],PM);
>     // Compose message
>     Msg.EncodeMessage;
>     if not FSMTP.Login then
>       Raise EDaemon.CreateFmt(SErrLoginFailed,[Fsmtp.EnhCodeString]);
>     //If you successfully pass authorization to the remote server
>     If Not FSMTP.AuthDone Then
>       Raise EDaemon.CreateFmt(SErrLoginFailed,[Fsmtp.EnhCodeString]);
>     //Send MAIL FROM SMTP command to set sender’s e-mail address.
>     If Not FSMTP.MailFrom('ourmail@ourcompany', Length(Msg.Lines.text)) then
>       Raise EDaemon.CreateFmt(SErrMailFromFailed,[Fsmtp.EnhCodeString]);
>     For S in aMailData.Recipients do
>       begin
>       If Not FSMTP.MailTo(S) Then
>         Raise EDaemon.CreateFmt(SMailtoFailed,[Fsmtp.EnhCodeString]);
>       if not FSMTP.MailData(Msg.Lines) Then
>         Raise EDaemon.CreateFmt(SMailDataFailed,[Fsmtp.EnhCodeString]);
>       end;
>
>The above is actual code from a program currently in production.
>This together with the sample from the article should be plenty to create
>your own code.
>
>Michael.

Thanks! Much obliged!

Seems like FSMTP is a globally available object managed somewhere else...
And that is where the SSL handling is defined too.
So it is set up to send a lot of emails.
In my case the mail sending is done in the end of the life of a task execution
thread so it will not live on further.

Slowly wrapping my head around Synapse, never used it before. I have used Indy
on Delphi since 20 years or so and continued that path on FreePascal/Lazarus.
But it does not handle openssl above 1.0.2.... :(

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden