On Sat, 15 May 2021 01:11:07 +0200, Tomas Hajny via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>> Is there some kind of blocking for emails with zip attachments which
>> stops them
>> from being delivered to GMail accounts?
>>
>> If so, is there some other type of compressed  format I can use which
>> is allowed
>> by GMail?
>
>Probably a silly question, but have you checked the Spam folder in
>GMail? In general, you can certainly send ZIP files to GMail. Also, what
>was the size of those attachments? The e-mail used as sender address
>didn't get any SMTP error message, did it? Personally, I'd guess for
>some other difference in your sending apart from the attachment type.

It is not a size problem, the test mail contains just a very small zipfile
sample (5 kb in size).
And the mail is not in the spam folder either, it is simply silently rejected by
GMail... No error message.

It turns out that GMail inspects the *content* of the zipfile and if it
discovers "dangerous" constituent files it blocks delivery altogether.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en#zippy=%2Cmessages-that-have-attachments%2Cmessages-that-dont-have-attachments

In my case there is a small text file inside named <something>.cmd which is NOT
a Windows command file (similar to a batch file) but a file with a set of
equipment commands and geometry information....

So I tested by changing the extension from .cmd to ,cmd.txt and then delivery
started working...
So now I have to modify the automatic server so it will rename this particular
file using a different extension.
But that is easier than dealing with the OpenSSL incompatibility of Indy10 in
any case.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden