From: frameworks-boun...@jonasmekasfilms.com
[mailto:frameworks-boun...@jonasmekasfilms.com] On Behalf Of Gene Youngblood
Sent: 23 May 2012 15:44
To: Experimental Film Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] humorous experimental films

There's a difference between "funny," where you laugh out loud, and "humorous,"
where you smile inside. Experimental film/video is almost always the latter.
One consistent exception is George Kuchar. I would argue that the man who is
the subject of his diaries is not only the funniest human being in the history
of the moving image, but is among the funniest in the history of modern western
culture.

Humor is of course pretty subjective. For me, "Associations" is the cleverest
and most humorous of John Smith's work. Some other experimentalists who are
humorous to greater or lesser degrees would include Will Hindle's later films,
Martin Arnold, Martha Colburn, Joe Gibbons, Tony Oursler, the early Peter
Greenaway, Ernest Gusella, Ant Farm's Media Burn, Miranda July, Arthur
Lippsett, Guy Maddin, Andy Warhol, Mark Rappaport,