> because it doesn't support the chipsets that the old one does.
> (namely the 200 or so lines of support in pci_ide.c needed for the Cyrix
> GXM series).
>
> You shouldn't remove a function until it has been properly replaced.
> A very simple concept some people seem to have trouble grasping.

Actually, that's not at all correct.  We've demonstrated a number of
times now that you reach a point where a brutal cutover is required.
Failure to do so leaves people clutching the old security blanket for
years, and massively impedes further development.

This is a good time for this particular cutover.  A little more public
announcement would perhaps have been nice, but that's probably asking
more of our axe-wielding friends than we're ever going to get.

The right attitude to be taking now is "here is where the ata drivers
still fall down" or "here are patches to them to replace this
functionality".  Think about the longer-term goals here folks.

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]