On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> Your statement "Nobody said cross compilation is easy :-)"

By this smiley, I mean to infer that it is far from easy.

> you're the ONLY one to demand it.  OK, maybe even "demand" is wrong

> If you were talking about the FreeBSD sources themselves, everything I
> said is out the window, because we *do* have total control

I think that you have missed the entire point of what I am advocating.

Within the ports Makefiles (and .mk), we DO have control.

We SHOULD make certain that we do NOT REPEAT the past errors of using
the wrong parameter when we CAN do it correctly.

IOW, don't box the future development in by building a mechanism
which works ONLY if HOST == TARGET.  Provide a mechanism which can
provide TARGET independent from HOST, but defaulting to the same value.

In the code which we write for the FreeBSD tree, including /usr/ports,
use the correct context.

I ask this because the mechanism for ports SHOULD be the same mechanism
that is used for OS builds. In the realm of OS building, I think that we
are making progress toward cross build capability.

I would hate to see this thing for ports be a step backward.