--------
Michael Gmelin writes:

> You can do an interface route hack

I think you misunderstand the situation.

We are talking about people who have /etc/rc.conf files which relied
on how default netmasks have worked for nearly three decades,

Now that we have changed that default, many of them will see a
single line rapidly scroll off their console, and a set of very
bewilding symptoms of DNS not working correctly.

The solution is not for them to apply some weird, complex and
unnecessary interface configuration.

The solution is for us to not break their configuration in the first
place, or at least make it much more obvious to them, where the problem
is to be found.

Defaulting to a /8 netmask for 192.168.x.y does not make *any* sense ever.

p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956