Van: Poul-Henning Kamp <p...@phk.freebsd.dk>
Datum: woensdag, 12 juni 2024 12:39
Aan: Ronald Klop <ronald-li...@klop.ws>
CC: curr...@freebsd.org
Onderwerp: Re: 14.1-R rc.conf/ifconfig netmask issue was really hard to figure
out

Ronald Klop writes:

> What do you thing about defaulting to /32 on a missing netmask?
> An interface with 1 IP address without any information about the network. All
traffic can go to the gateway.

I dont think that will work ?

The gateway will not be inside any of the attached networks, so you have no
route to it ?

Poul-Henning

p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Ai. Of course. Typed quicker than I was thinking. :-)

Well. Then it is maybe best to just error out on boot with a misconfigured
network. Or revert back to the pre-14.1 behavior because of POLA.
I'll leave it up to you and will make sure I configure my interfaces with a
netmask.

Regards,
Ronald.