> --------
> Michael Gmelin writes:
>
> > You can do an interface route hack
>
> I think you misunderstand the situation.
>
> We are talking about people who have /etc/rc.conf files which relied
> on how default netmasks have worked for nearly three decades,
>
> Now that we have changed that default, many of them will see a
> single line rapidly scroll off their console, and a set of very
> bewilding symptoms of DNS not working correctly.
>
> The solution is not for them to apply some weird, complex and
> unnecessary interface configuration.
>
> The solution is for us to not break their configuration in the first
> place, or at least make it much more obvious to them, where the problem
> is to be found.
>
> Defaulting to a /8 netmask for 192.168.x.y does not make *any* sense ever.

Why have I been bitching for 20 years about how the project just
changes "defaults" that effect how a system behavies without
any change by the user.  In my book these are just plainly WRONG
and well, have and continue to bite someone in the ass.

No one else seems to complain unless it bites THEM in the ass,
well there is ALWAYS and THEM so the project should be far
more considerate than they have been, IMHO, about bitting
asses, as those asses are connected to the hands that feed
this project by growth.

It is not that hard to intruduce NEW behavior yet retain the OLD behavior
with lots of warning that it is exepcted to change or go away in
the future.

*Stomps off my soap box, hands phk a bandaid for the bite mark (always,
always specify critical values even if they are the default), and
retreats to the background*

Rod Grimes                                                 rgri...@freebsd.org