Quoting Navdeep Parhar <npar...@gmail.com> (from Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:35:40 -0700):

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 01:23:42PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
Quoting Navdeep Parhar <npar...@gmail.com> (from Wed, 14 Apr 2010
02:31:30 -0700):

>On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Alexander Leidinger
><netch...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>Quoting Navdeep Parhar <npar...@gmail.com> (from Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:33:29
>>-0700):
>>
>>>I read the UPDATING entry that accompanied r206082 and added WITH_CTF=yes
>>>my kernel config, hoping to get CTF information in the kernel and all
>>>modules.  No luck.
>>>It appears that NO_CTF remains set to 1 inspite of the undef NO_CTF in
>>>various .mk files
>>>and ctfconvert never runs.
>>
>>This is the output I get in my kernel build directory:
>>---snip---
>># make -V NO_CTF -V WITH_CTF
>>
>>yes
>
>Can you also try a "makeoptions WITH_CTF=yes" in your KERNCONF

The above one is with WITH_CTF in my kernel config, but this was
generated manually with cd /sys/i386/conf; config CONF; cd
../compile/CONF; make -V...

>and see if the results are as expected?  How was r206082 tested?  I'm
>trying to figure out the differences, if any, between your build setup and
>mine.

I made a buildworld with and without WITH_CTF in src.conf to confirm
that it works (no installkernel, as the world is known to be not
useable with CTF), and I did a lot of tests by hand as above
(config;make).

Have you or anyone else ever used buildkernel successfully with
"makeoptions WITH_CTF=yes" in the conf file?  Something as simple as
this does not work for me:

- pristine sources in /usr/src, empty /usr/obj, no /etc/make.conf, no
  /etc/src.conf
- add "makeoptions WITH_CTF=yes" in sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
- make buildkernel in /usr/src

I can reproduce what you see. Somewhere NO_CTF is feed to the build of the kernel. I will have a look from where this comes. Until then I suggest to compile the kernel by hand (if you want to make use of the CTF stuff) instead of using buildkernel.

Bye,
Alexander.

I attribute my success to intelligence, guts, determination, honesty,
ambition, and having enough money to buy people with those qualities.