Quoting jhell <jh...@dataix.net> (from Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:46:33 -0400):

[testing CTF]
This sounds like a case of too many knobs to control whether ctfconvert
will be used on any resulting object code.

Couldn't this be better handled by defaulting WITH_CTF:=NO instead of
having it act Boolean and set NO_CTF to 0 or 1 but rather check if we
are building world or kernel by other means if the user has WITH_CTF
defined somewhere else?.

Or just check whether WITH_CTF is defined and enable the proper sections
of the build for kernel.

Sorry, but no. A lot of people tried for doing it by checking if it is defined, but as there is stuff in sys.mk (which is read before everything else), this fails.

As I see in sys.mk: stable/7 example and not touched on HEAD.

[code in HEAD]

Could be simplified:
.if defined(WITH_CTF)
CTFFLAGS        ?=      -L VERSION
CTFCONVERT      ?=      ctfconvert
CTFMERGE        ?=      ctfmerge
CTFCONVERT      ?=      ctfconvert
CTFMERGE        ?=      ctfmerge
.if defined(CFLAGS) && (${CFLAGS:M-g} != "")
CTFFLAGS        +=      -g
.else
CFLAGS          +=      -g
.endif

And this would leave little confusion about what is actually happening
and ensure that adding something like (makeoptions -DWITH_CTF) actually
work.

Try it. The CTF stuff is more complex than it initially looks. I was doing several unsuccesful tries until I arrived at something which works.

I do not see a real need for NO_CTF if we can check to see if WITH_CTF
is being defined.

There is need for it. We have stuff which does not work when compiled with CTF. The current way allows to put some NO_CTF in Makefiles (if we want to), to disable specific problem cases even when the rest is compiled with CTF. I also doubt we want to use the bootblocks or the loader with CTF, so those are items which should get a NO_CTF in any case.

For the relevant sections of the tree that should never have WITH_CTF
just dont add the ability to check and enable it. Or undefine it.

Undefining it would be an option if the default stays off, but there are people which prefer to have the default being on. When the default switches, or the opinion switches to keep the default off, everything needs to be or should be reviewed.

Bye,
Alexander.