On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> That's true. I'd like to see the replacement grep do mmaping of the
> input files if it doesn't already, as that would speed it up. Anyway,

It does not use mmap right now.  And this causes a significant perforamce
hit on larger files.  An older version (I'm thinking .4) would give
equivalent performance on smaller files, <75k or so, occassionally faster.
However, larger files really drag it down, often slower by 900%.

> I haven't tried it out yet because I haven't seen it hit 1.0 :) The
> only good pre-1.0 software I've seen has been the GIMP, XRacer, and
> some little utilities (like a program called stat(1)).
>
> That reminds me. I'd like to see something like stat(1) go into the source
> tree, but only if it were freely licensed, not GPL-infected. I could do
> it in a day, I suppose, if it were worth it. Worth it is here defined as
> "would be accepted to go in usr.bin."

I once saw a version of stat that carried a public domain statement on an
HP-UX software archive, I'll see if I can dig that up for you.

Jamie