Can't address many of these, but will address one.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Rafter Man wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD lovers :-)
>
> First af all I would like to thank the FreeBSD developers for making
> such a great system! Half a year ago, I had to choose an OS for my
> server and the first decision was between Windows and Unix, ofcourse it
> didn't take much research to determine that Unix were the better choice.
> But now I had to choose from Linux, Solaris and one of the BSD's, and
> one of the BSD's is was. After a little reseach I had nerroed it down to
> OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and FreeBSD won me over :-)  But enough of this, on
> to the 2 requests:  1. Is there a way to hide a user from other users?
> Fx programs like w, who, users, netstat, top, ps all show what other
> users are doing. It would fx be a good idea to hide root or the admin's
> activities from other users. If you are trying to catch a cracker, then
> you know that he/she if not stupid enough to login while other users
> (especial root) are online. But perhaps this feuture to hide a user
> already exists?

-STABLE has this facility to a limited degree: you can use jail, or via
the sysctl kern.ps_showallprocs.  -CURRENT has a much more complete
solution here, due to some re-architecting of the way credentials are
handled, and has a series of kernel security policy tweaks, including a
related kern.security.bsd.see_other_uids sysctl, which also affects the
ability to see sockets in netstat, etc.  FreeBSD 5.0, depending on the
release schedule and how much work we get done, will have some amount of
support for several mandatory access control models.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services