> First af all I would like to thank the FreeBSD developers for making
> such a great system! Half a year ago, I had to choose an OS for my
> server and the first decision was between Windows and Unix, ofcourse
> it didn't take much research to determine that Unix were the better
> choice. But now I had to choose from Linux, Solaris and one of the
> BSD's, and one of the BSD's is was. After a little reseach I had
> nerroed it down to OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and FreeBSD won me over :-)
> But enough of this, on to the 2 requests: 1. Is there a way to hide a
> user from other users? Fx programs like w, who, users, netstat, top,
> ps all show what other users are doing. It would fx be a good idea to
> hide root or the admin's activities from other users. If you are
> trying to catch a cracker, then you know that he/she if not stupid
> enough to login while other users (especial root) are online. But
> perhaps this feuture to hide a user already exists?
>
> 2. After having read "Operating systems - Internals and Design
> Principles" by William Stallings I have a few questions. He writes,
> among other things, about VM, process and tread design, and compares
> Unix SVR4, Solaris and Windows NT. Sometimes he more or less say, that
> what fx Solaris have done is the way of the future and other times the
> unix way was the bedst. I don't want to discuss why FreeBSD have
> designed the kernel as they have, but I know that sometimes when you
> work very closely with something, you forget to "look up". I mean,
> does FreeBSD analyse the Linux and Solaris kernel, maybe adobt some of
> the good thing they have made? I don't expect FreeBSD to rewrite the
> kernel, but to learn from Solaris and Linux. If FreeBSD allready do
> this, then I am sorry for having troubled you with this mail!!!

I think you misunderstood somewhere along the lines. FreeBSD is just as
good as solaris and linux in most things, and better in others.

> Best regards
> Rafter
>
> ps: 1. I hope that in the future FreeBSD will remain a servers only
> OS. Meaning that I hope the developers don't spend to much time making
> games, grafical programs and stuff like gnome/kde/x11.

I hope the opposite. I use FreeBSD all day every day as my desktop system,
and I'd die if I didn't have the things that you mention above as hoping
that they never happen.

> 2. I hope that in the furture the FreeBSD developers will rewrite the
> system in C++.

This will most likely NEVER happen. One of the reasons FreeBSD and UNIX in
general are so fast is because they don't have to deal with the overhead
of C++. C is smaller and faster.

> 3. I hope for even more focuse on security.

As far as I know there is a whole project focusing on FreeBSD's security.

Ken