On Mar 10, 2013, at 19:18, Fbsd8 <fb...@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> What is really needed is for the tzsetup program to state which east coast
> selections have day light saving included. Maybe a pr is in order.

Nope, you pretty conclusively proved that you're using the right
time zone setting. Trust me. :-) That md5 you posted is the exact
same md5 that's on my own system. My own America/New_York is
doing just fine, thank you. ;-)

Something else is going on. *What*, I don't know. But you chose
the right time zone in tzsetup and that time zone description
file definitely does have DST rules in it.

I never use the wall_cmos_clock setting, because I don't trust
it -- at least with the traditional behavior (wall_cmos_clock=0)
I know *exactly* what's going on. I really don't know what is
happening under the hood when that's turned on, so I have no
idea if it could be related or not. But I'm curious what
it shows if you run:

sysctl machdep.wall_cmos_clock

        ~Ben