On Jun 4, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
Use the eat-your-own-food approach (while not knowing what the 500
systems do): Make sure you use the same hardware and software as
what is in production. Upgrade it first, run it for two weeks. If
it doesn't, fallback and see where it went wrong. If it all works
fine after two weeks, roll it out.

Edwin, I've been building testbed environments for over 20 years in my professional career. I know a lot more than this basic concept.

The costs in our environment for a proper testbed is $20k in hardware and 3000 man hours. That's for a small test of comparable small changes to the existing environment.

Why would we take on this cost only to re-document well known and already acknowledged bugs? I mean, really?

Not trying to be sarcastic, but do you purchase cars to test them out and see if you can get better gas mileage than the EPA observes? Neither do I ;-)

(yes, their testing methodology is flawed but it's a decent enough benchmark to know if you want the vehicle or not)

--
Jo Rhett