> [wsimpson - Sat Jan 26 10:38:42 2008]:
>
> Jason Short wrote:
> >>>
> >> Nor to me.  Leaving open until this is documented on our web pages
and in
> >> the distributed files.
> >
> > This is a bug in freeciv.
> >
> > Background: when I wrote the charset code, I divided freeciv into 3
> > charsets.  ...
>
> And where the heck is this documented?

In this and other RT tickets, it seems.  Strange, I thought I had
written this up somewhere in the code, but I can find nothing.  Where
should it be documented?

> > So in summary, if any bug reporters can track where the offending
> > strings are coming from, fixing each incident is not too hard.  In the
> > meantime this should be listed as a known bug.
> >
> I'm really tired of this laissez fair attitude toward bug fixing.

Huh?  I'm the one who pointed out it's a bug in the first place, remember?

> It may be a "known" bug, but that means there should be an open ticket,
> probably with a tracking ticket to gather the related incidents.

Obviously. But this is not a bug that is going to be easy to verify as
completely fixed.  Doing so requires scanning every string (not every
translated string; every string) to check for inclusions of libc output.

> It is a serious bug.

That depends on how many such strings there are.  I suspect there are
very few, thus making it a non-fatal and rather rare bug.  In any case,
we can quickly fix the most common places and make it such.

> And the .UTF-8 workaround needs to be clearly documented!  Everywhere!

What workaround?

-jason