> I've been wondering whether we can drop .tar.gz entirely, maybe
> from 2.4 onwards, in favour of .tar.bz2. .tar.gz doesn't get
> many downloads from Sourceforge.

I've seen this discussion for several projects lately. Most often it's decided
that .tar.gz shoudl be provided as idiot-proof format, and .tar.xz as modern
one, meaning that projects taht earlier provided .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 are
dropping .tar.bz2 in favor of .tar.xz and leave .tar.gz as is. We're certainly
late by introducing .tar.bz2 now when others are already abandoning it.

> there's always .zip as a fallback.

We have .zip? Do we have some extra hops in release process to produce one,
since I don't see it in automake options?