On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 12:30:47 PM Uwe wrote:
> 2013/1/9 Michael T. Pope <mp...@computer.org>
>
> > - Java
> >
> > It is probably time to bump our minimum required Java version from 1.5
> > to 1.6/6.  1.5 is quite dead, whereas 6 is only under threat of death.
>
> Ubuntu distributes OpenJava instead of Oracle Java, so a lot of people use
> that knowingly or not.

Are you sure you do not mean OpenJDK?  Googling "Ubuntu OpenJava" triggers the
"Including results for Ubuntu openjdk" alert, the top result is the "Java -
Community Ubuntu Documentation" page (last edit 20130107) which has no mention
of OpenJava but discusses OpenJDK first, and specifically mentions packages for
openjdk-6 and openjdk-7.   The first mention of "OpenJava" is for an unrelated
source code analysis tool.

If so, then Ubuntu is not a concern, as they clearly support Java 6 (alias
1.6), and have abandoned 1.5, like most other linux distributions I am aware
of, and as I now propose FreeCol should do.

> Switching to Oracle Java is not quick and easy.

You are the first to mention Oracle Java.  Perhaps you can explain why it is
relevant?

Cheers,
Mike Pope