I have been trying to improve support for generalized production. As
usual, things turn out to be more complicated than I had anticipated,
much like in real life. In particular, I don't know how to handle this
situation:

<production>
<input goods-type="wood" amount="3"/>
<input goods-type="ore" amount="2"/>
<output goods-type="hammers" amount="2"/>
<output goods-type="tools" amount="1"/>
</production>

Now let's assume a 50% production modifier for hammers, due to expert
units or other circumstances. Do we increase the production of tools as
well? If not, we could just ignore the modifier, which would further
complicate the production code, however. What if there is a hammers
expert and a tools expert in the building? Do we have to calculate the
maximum production for each output type independently and then scale
both input and output goods accordingly?

Say the building could produce 7 hammers and 4 tools. That would imply a
factor of 3.5 for hammers and 4.0 for tools. Since we are limited by the
lower value, we would produce 7 hammers and 3 (3.5) tools, consuming 11
(10.5) wood and 7 ore. Does that sound right?

Of course, before scaling the production, we would have to consider the
amount of input goods. So, if only 9 units of wood were available, the
scale would drop to 3, resulting in a production of 6 hammers and 3
tools from 9 wood and 6 ore.

Now assume that we only have room for 3 hammers and that the building
avoids excess production, reducing the production scale to 1.5. Do we
reduce the production of tools accordingly? If not, how much input do we
consume?

Regards

Michael