>> "Stian Grenborgen" <stian...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
>> > You can only have one (real) full screen window on a system. That's
>> why
>> > FreeCol earlier used JInternalFrame for popup-dialogs, but I have
>> noticed
>> > this has now been changed to JDialog.
>> >
>> > Change it back and it will work again :-)
>>
>> Alas not so.  The JDialog change is recent (last few months).  The bug
>> reports date back to 2008, if not earlier.
>
> Further to which, some of the reports mention the ColonyPanel disappearing
> behind the map.  ColonyPanel is a FreeColPanel which still uses the
> JInternalFrame code.  The other frequent offender is the opening video,
> but that is a special case.

Anyway, there is still the problem of having additional frames when in
full screen mode even though the problem might arise from other causes as
well. The effects might not be noticeable on all systems ... as there is
an automatic fallback to using a maximized undecorated window when full
screen mode is unavailable.

Another problem with using JDialog is that they don't mix well with
JInternalFrame. Layering, focus etc is handled by the windowing system for
the former, while JDesktopPane handles it for the latter. That's why the
ChooseFoundingFatherDialog is always in front of the Colopedia help panel
you get when clicking the "help" button, for example.

Considering the other problems with dialogs appearing behind each other:
It should be possible just to grab the panel that is blocking the other,
and click on the panel behind. Unless you are clicking on a component (or
there are additional JPanels intercepting the mouse click), this should
make the panel you click appear in front. Isn't this working?

If there are dialogs appearing behind another dialog, then the likely
cause is the panel in front getting a requestFocus call ... as this will
also place the window in front. Perhaps this is the problem in the
non-JDialog-related cases?

Best wishes,
Stian