On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 13:35:51 +0200
win...@genial.ms wrote:
> yesterday I was too tired to write something, though I'd like to tell why I
> put
> nearly 2 hours into changing all the logger calls back.
> When reading the logfile to check my other changed I saw at many places "{0}
> {1}"
> and so on, not the data values one would want to have there.

Certainly sufficient reason: it did not work.  Pity, the {}-syntax is
better IMHO.

> I wanted to revert using a few git commands, but found it was all intermingled
> with other changes...
> The moral is:
> - Keep each commit to a single logical change to avoid turning a 1 minute
> revert
> into a massive task.

True, but this is the ideal.  In practice, I do not pretend to always
succeed in keeping all my patches completely compartmentalized.  Sometimes
complex stuff does indeed get interconnected, or more simply, if I am
fixing a bug in a routine and discover it has two bugs, I usually just
rewrite it to fix both.  The *most* important thing is to make progress.
Purity of the commit tree is indeed good, but secondary.

> - Don't change working code just for the sake of change or making an IDE
> happy.

Agreed on the first.  On the second category, I think you have to make an
informed judgement as to whether the IDE is right to be whining.  If you
go through the FreeCol codebase you can see @SuppressWarning directives
which a developer has put there to make the compiler happy.  I can assure
you that I have checked all of these and either agree that the developer
was right or prefer to defer fixing the problem for now.  I can not
comment on netbeans or the other Java IDEs, but I have looked at findbugs
output and registered FreeCol for free coverity scans --- both of these
complain a lot more, often excessively, but both also found potential race
conditions (now fixed, IIRC).  IRL I write a fair bit of C, which is a lot
less forgiving than Java:-), and there I also have a policy of running the
compiler with all the useful warnings turned on, and fixing every problem
as soon as it occurs.  Ultimately, you want to know what you are doing,
and know what your tools are doing.  AFAICT the only way you get there is
through experience, and the only way to get experience is to do stuff.
So IMHO fixing IDE warnings is a pretty good thing to be doing if you are
looking to gain some familiarity with Java and the FreeCol codebase.

Meanwhile, while I am writing, what is happening with MR#14 folks?  You
know I have been ignoring that warning, but if you think it can be fixed it
would indeed be nice.

Cheers,
Mike Pope