Hi, still looking for a way to make FORMAT able to format 720k
disks in 1440k drives...

- FreeDOS FORMAT: int 13.5 works, int 13.2 (read) fails.
- Con>Fmt 1.07: "drive not ready" if you attempt to format to 720k
- FdFrm18 (FdFrm/88 1.8): not much better

So what is this all about? Maybe a general compatibility problem?
Do I have to use DD disks to be able to format to DD?
If LBAcache would be to blame: I unloaded it, no difference.

Maybe somebody can give me a clue here or show me a working format
tool, preferably with sources, from which I could learn... and please
test if it works in FreeDOS, too, before telling me about your tool.

Luckily the other sizes work much better (although 360k in 1200k seems
to depend on whether you use DD or HD disks. And nobody tested what
happens in 360k and 720k drive hardware with FORMAT 0.91n yet...).
I myself only tested 1440k / 1680k / 1743k (would an 82-track format
be useful or does 83-track work for most people?), but somebody else
tested 360k / 400k / 1200k (not yet tested: 1494k in 1.2 MB drive).
Be careful, the REALLY interesting question is whether lowlevel format
works. If you have a floppy which is already formatted to 720k, then
FORMAT A: /V:fdos720 /F:720 should work, because it will only empty the
filesystem then but will not do lowlevel format. By the way, saving the
unformat / mirror data happens sector by sector, so it is a bit slow.
If you think it is TO slow (maybe even on harddisks???), let me know.

Eric.

PS: Still need test results / feedback about the FAT32 FORMAT 0.91n Win98 bug!