>>>     Review sources. himem64.asm contains setz instruction. This instruction
>>>only available for 386+, whereas himem should be loadable on 286 also.
>MD> Further source review would show that HIMEM is for 386 only, as the
>MD> check_cpu routine shows.  That's been a basic requirement of HIMEM since it
>MD> was introduced before my time.
>
>     HIMEM was firstly introduced (and used) at time of AT286 machines.
>There was no "requirement" for himem to work only on 386+ (unless you mean
>"himem" as part of tom's emm386 package, not "himem" as class of drivers).

There is a requirement for HIMEM for FreeDOS to work on 386+.  PLEASE, I don't want to
get into another nomenclature argument over what one means when one uses what word.
The last debate about what "should" means was really really boring and didn't resolve
anything for either side.  It is a _requirement_, for FreeDOS HIMEM, that you have a
386.   I don't consider this a serious limitation.