At 11:16 PM 3/17/2004 +0000, Bart Oldeman wrote:
>> >Duke Nukem 3D reboots the machine as soon as it enters graphics mode. Its
>> >setup program (which also uses dos4gw 1.97) works correctly though. DOOM
>> >on the other hand works. Will try to run with Causeway and DOS32A later.
>>
>> I downloaded Duke Nukem 3D, but turns out it's larger than a floppy,
>> which is the only way I can transfer to the DOS machine.
>
>More info:
>Duke works fine in the standard 320x200 VGA mode but reboots when I try
>an LFB (Linear Frame Buffer) mode (800x600x256 in this case). So the
>problem is most likely in the LFB memory mapping.

Following up, the Knoppix ftp works as a reasonably pain-free method of transfer via
network.

With DUKE3D I get a reboot on 800x600 video setting, or if I move the mouse around.
Did you try the mouse and, if so, did it work for you?  Besides high video and mouse,
DUKE3D works fine for me, highlighting how really awful I am at shooter games.

Since the VCPI basic mechanics are working well, and the various descriptor tables are
all passed off at startup and then are the responsibility of the client, I'm not sure
where the problem could be.  Mouse and extended video, is that pointing the finger of
blame to interrupt related code?  Stack or reentrancy problems?  I dunno.  Do you have
anything in a basic DOS extended application which uses the mouse that you can test?