At 11:16 PM 3/17/2004 +0000, Bart Oldeman wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Michael Devore wrote:
>

>> >Duke Nukem 3D reboots the machine as soon as it enters graphics mode. Its
>> >setup program (which also uses dos4gw 1.97) works correctly though. DOOM
>> >on the other hand works. Will try to run with Causeway and DOS32A later.
>>
>> I downloaded Duke Nukem 3D, but turns out it's larger than a floppy,
>> which is the only way I can transfer to the DOS machine.
>
>More info:
>Duke works fine in the standard 320x200 VGA mode but reboots when I try
>an LFB (Linear Frame Buffer) mode (800x600x256 in this case). So the
>problem is most likely in the LFB memory mapping.

As far as the Duke mouse reboot, I've found that if the mouse is moved rapidly, the
user stack can get down below 128 bytes, which obviously is a crash waiting to happen.
 Good candidate what's causing for the problem with MXPLAY with high interrupt rates.
Whether this is separate from the LFB problem, I don't know, but it definitely isn't
good.

I need to figure out whether the problem is EMM386's interrupt handler is setting up
user stack to fail in some conditions by not always clearing everything, or whether
interrupts are handled too slowly to keep up with the mouse handler and Duke running
under EMM386 is having multiple re-entrancy chewing through the user stack.

Worse case, guess I'll have to check for a low user stack in the VMM interrupt handler
and flush the interrupt if the danger point is reached at, what, 256 bytes, 192 maybe?
 128 is definitely too low.