At 06:05 PM 3/22/2004 +0000, Bart Oldeman wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Michael Devore wrote:
>
>> I've tried QuickView Pro and a DOS extended PNG viewer and they both are
>> documented as using an LFB and work fine under EMM386, so we're dealing
>> with something beyond a simple LFB existence problem here.
>
>that's right. Quake also works in LFB modes (except it didn't startup
>for me with NOEMS set, but that's a different issue and we already
>discussed that anyway).
>
>> I've thrown about everything I could at this Duke3D high res display
>> problem.  Downloaded and installed 386SWAT debugger and modified EMM386
>> to work with it, but when 386SWAT is loaded, Duke3D magically starts
>> working again with EMM386.  Very strange.
>
>Yes indeed... I can try it in Bochs one day and see what happens, but it's
>not worth spending any more hours debugging for you then for the time
>being, agreed. Well what is "worth" here, of course thanks a lot!

Wha-ha!  I ran out of ideas and decided to start debugging the 386SWAT debugger to see
what it was doing.  Turns out on the protected mode entry back to the VCPI handler, I
have to LAR the stack segment and zero out the high word if the big bit is clear
(protected mode program using SP instead of ESP potentially leaving cruft in the high
word).  Didn't think of that as an issue because I'm used to thinking of protected
mode programs like DOS/4GW as always running 32-bit.  So, that was an expensive
mistake.

Anyway, Duke3D runs in high resolution 800x600 mode now under EMM386.  I just need to
add VMware detection for auto UMB exclusion, and then I'll put up the first release
candidate version of EMM386.