> The FreeDOS Spec says:
>
> "Our reference C compiler is OpenWatcom C. (Borland C 3.1 was
> originally chosen as the reference standard because this is the
> compiler used to build the FreeDOS kernel. However, it is preferable
> to use entirely free tools to create FreeDOS.)"
> [...]
> "This does not mean that everyone must use these tools to contribute
> to FreeDOS. That would be counterproductive, as many users may prefer
> other programs. Rather, this means that any C code must be compilable
> on OpenWatcom C, and all Assembly must be assemble-able on NASM. Good
> programming habits such as wise use of #ifdef statements will allow
> you to do this."
>
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=FreeDOS_Spec#Programming_tools

Assembling anything on NASM is a nice goal (for me, anyway) but isn't yet
achieved and probably won't ever be. For example, DOSLFN requires TASM
IDEAL mode and the assembly source files of much advertised 4DOS are
written for MASM. "FreeDOS" DEBUG recently even got ported back to JWASM
 from previous NASM source code. JEMM386 (plus assorted JLMs) and HIMEMX
(which _are_ superior to previous FreeDOS EMM386 and HIMEM) are written
for JWASM too, just as the HX DOS extender. Of course I don't blame
Japheth for this, it just doesn't comply to the current FreeDOS Spec, so
the Spec should be updated to allow at least all open-source assemblers
available for DOS.

A collection of NASM macros to assemble partly adapted source code doesn't
seem possible to me. Even if it is (with some macro hacks) this would
probably result in a new assembly language between the existing ones which
neither the JWASM/MASM nor the NASM users would want to write for.

Regards,
Christian