Hi Christian,

> Assembling anything on NASM is a nice goal (for me, anyway) but isn't yet
> achieved and probably won't ever be. For example, DOSLFN requires TASM

DOSLFN is probably not free enough for Fedora as LFN are patented??

> IDEAL mode and the assembly source files of much advertised 4DOS are
> written for MASM. "FreeDOS" DEBUG recently even got ported back to JWASM

Is the 4DOS license okay for Fedora? Then JWASM should be, too...

>  from previous NASM source code. JEMM386 (plus assorted JLMs) and HIMEMX
> (which _are_ superior to previous FreeDOS EMM386 and HIMEM) are written
> for JWASM too, just as the HX DOS extender. Of course I don't blame

Not really written for - Japheth just stopped keeping an eye on the
NoMySo compatibility of the sources. If you fix that, you can turn
the sources into NASM compatible and compile those. Not for HX but
at least for HIMEMX and JEMM386 :-).

> Japheth for this, it just doesn't comply to the current FreeDOS Spec, so

I do not think Japheth is interested in any spec here.

> the Spec should be updated to allow at least all open-source assemblers
> available for DOS.

Not really... Licenses differ and NASM _is_ more free than JWASM.
It is also bad to use too many different compilers / assemblers.
The current situation with OpenWatcom C, Borland Turbo C, NASM
and JWASM and a bit of GNU C / DJGPP / GAS is quite okay, though.

> A collection of NASM macros to assemble partly adapted source code doesn't
> seem possible to me. Even if it is (with some macro hacks) this would
> probably result in a new assembly language between the existing ones which
> neither the JWASM/MASM nor the NASM users would want to write for.

Have a look at NoMySo - a Perl script which turns MASM syntax into
NASM and is quite sophisticated in doing so. Can probably be adapted
to work around the differences between MASM and JWASM as well :-p

Eric