By the way I also think Arachne is one of the DOS flagship projects.

Unfortunately there are some very basic things which makes this software
less useful and afaik there is currently no one continuing the
development of this project.

1) no SSL support
- latest DOSLynx implemented it

2) Linux port
- From Arachne v1.93 there is also a Linux port.
- Unfortunately it's also not completely synchronized with v1.95.
- I wonder why there are two different source packages, the DOS and
Linux source should be unified as any multi platform application which
can be compiled in a few steps for different platforms does this so. It
also ensures also that all ports are always up to date.

3) uses still real mode and xswap
- Udo Kuhnt made an alpha version with DPMI out of v1.90J1 while latest
version in the "maintree" is v1.95 but I think backporting the few
changes shouldn't be a big deal
- I am not sure whenever Udo Kuhnt's version uses 16 or 32 bit DPMI but
it I think it's 16.
- 32 bit DPMI would be better.
- As I think xswap will not work in native Linux (no emulation) as there
is no xms, ems so it must have been ported already. Why the DOS version
uses still xswap then?

4) compiler
- still dependent to Borland C, port to OW and/or DJGPP would be good
because more people are using it
- Makes it point to port it from C to C++?

5) to many ports
- There are to many ports with different features floating around, all
should be merged, there was even a windows port form 1.6x or so.

6) graphics backend
- Dr WebSpyder and Lineo Embrowser (unfortunately no source code) ported
to Allegro and gave Arachne a speed boost.