Hi Michael,

> By the way I also think Arachne is one of the DOS flagship projects.

I agree.

> 1) no SSL support
> - latest DOSLynx implemented it

I believe there are also eLinks based projects with SSL for DOS?

> 2) Linux port
> - From Arachne v1.93 there is also a Linux port.
> - Unfortunately it's also not completely synchronized with v1.95.
> - I wonder why there are two different source packages, the DOS and
> Linux source should be unified as any multi platform application..

Arachne is not as cool as the big browsers among those who CAN
run the big browsers - But it could be, in particular because
it has the potential to run with little RAM... At the moment,
alas, it still needs big RAM or big temp directory for the
rendering of JPEG and other images as far as I remember...?

Another good thing to have would be basic Javascript, and I think
there were projects in that direction...

> 3) uses still real mode and xswap
> - Udo Kuhnt made an alpha version with DPMI out of v1.90J1 while latest
> version in the "maintree" is v1.95 but I think backporting the few
> changes shouldn't be a big deal

Not sure...

> - As I think xswap will not work in native Linux

You will not need any of that if you simply compile Arachne
with a 32bit compiler in the first place. I do not think any
286 or older PC could run Arachne at acceptable speed anyway.

> 4) compiler
> - still dependent to Borland C, port to OW and/or DJGPP would be good

I agree.

> - Makes it point to port it from C to C++?

No. Only if there is much of hard-to-read object-related code
and only if you have the idea that this code would be easier
to implement in object oriented languages.

> 6) graphics backend
> - Dr WebSpyder and Lineo Embrowser (unfortunately no source code)
> ported to Allegro and gave Arachne a speed boost.

Arachne has GPL license so you can force WebSpyder/Lineo to
make their Arachne modifications public.

I agree that Arachne (and MPXPLAY) are nice DOS projects which
can become even nicer if there are more volunteers to help them.

Eric